Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Friday, September 24, 2010

More Like Ourselves

As we age, we become more like ourselves.

It is an oft-quoted truism. Many truisms are simply trite, but this one, I think, is actually true.

I am a patient person, and I have become more patient in winter. In winter, I have to drive more slowly and walk more carefully, allowing for the ice under my tires and feet.

I am an impatient person, and in winter I have less patience with those who are driving or walking even more slowly than I and thus impeding my progress. My days are limited, and I don’t want to have to spend any time or energy behind those who choose to be slow.

I have always been both patient and impatient, As I age, I become more like myself, more patient with those who are stupid by nature and less patient with those who are stupid by choice. My days are limited, and I don’t want to have to spend any time or energy on those who choose to be stupid.

The point is this: as I age, I become more like not just myself, but like BOTH my selves, the sinful self and the redeemed self. Just because I am stuck with being more like myself now that I am old doesn’t mean that I can’t choose WHICH of my selves I shall copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment