Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Monday, October 18, 2010

When the Applause Fades

As an IU grad and fan, I had reservations about Larry Siegfried, the Ohio State guard on their 1960 national championship basketball team, who went on to win five NBA titles with the Boston Celtics.

I have no reservations, though, about affirming his observation, quoted in his obituary today: “As time goes on, the championship does not mean as much to me. The thing that matters to me is what coach [Fred] Taylor taught us and the relationships, those intangible things. The core values that made me who I am today, that’s what’s important to me.”

The awards, the applause, the power, the successes all fade away, for each of us. And we cannot replicate those. We get too old to win new championships. But we are never too old for the relationships and values that give us meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment