Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Monday, November 28, 2011

The Missing Piece--An After-Thanksgiving Poem

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith from a place of winter For the Years of Winter…

THE MISSING PIECE—An after-Thanksgiving poem

It is two days after Thanksgiving
And I am still thankful
For turkey and dressing and cranberry salad
And pie
Especially pie
But not potatoes
They were not on the menu this year
And for the jigsaw puzzle
We worked together
[An old-fashioned winter scene]
One piece at a time
Until it was complete
Except one piece was missing
My wife said it might be someone at the factory
Playing a cruel joke
[I suspect the cat]
My wife said it would not be so bad
If it were just a plain piece
Just blue sky
With one innie and two outies
Or just white snow
With innies and outies alternating
As they sometimes do
But the hole
Was right in the middle of the puzzle

JRMcF

The “place of winter” mentioned in the title line is Iron Mountain, in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, where life is defined by winter even in the summer!

You are always welcome to Forward or Repost or Reprint. It’s okay to acknowledge the source, unless it embarrasses you too much. It is okay to refer the link to older folks you know or to print it in a church newsletter or bulletin.

{I also write the fictional “Periwinkle Chronicles” blog. One needs a rather strange sense of humor to enjoy it, but occasionally it is slightly funny. It is at http://periwinklechronicles.blogspot.com/}

(If you would prefer to receive either “Christ In Winter” or “Periwinkle Chronicles” via email, just let me know at jmcfarland1721@charter.net, and I’ll put you on the email list.)








2 comments:

  1. It must be the God piece; without which nothing is complete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, you got it! Of course, I'm not surprised. The funny thing is that the whole poem is simply factually accurate. I didn't know it was theological until I read it afterward.

    ReplyDelete