Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Thursday, October 23, 2014

COUNT DOWN-a poem

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith from a Place of Winter for the Years of Winter… ©

Life is not lived forward
Not really. It is lived backward
counting down

The most famous count-down
was from your mother
who gave you to the count of three
or else

We shared a whole new world
by counting down
with the astronauts
to blast off

We count down to children
and grand-children
I counted down to retirement’
for four and one-half years

Of all the species
only humans
have brains that can imagine
the future, counting down

I have one more count-down
to blast off
It started the day I was born
But I do not know the number
from which it began…


John Robert McFarland

The “place of winter” mentioned in the title line is Iron Mountain, in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, where life is defined by winter even in the summer! [This phrase is explained in the post for March 20, 2014.]

You don’t have to bookmark or favorite the CIW URL to return here. Just Google Christ In Winter and it will show up at the top of the page.

I have also started an author blog, about writing, in preparation for the publication, by Black Opal Books, of my novel, VETS, in early 2015. http://johnrobertmcfarland-author.blogspot.com/


I tweet as yooper1721.

No comments:

Post a Comment