Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

EASTER IS A BIG PAN TIME

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith from a Place of Winter for the Years of Winter… ©

Easter is fast approaching, so it is the time to focus on…. [drum roll] resurrection? NO. It’s time to focus on the Easter dinner. And for many people, that means ham…

…which reminds me of the woman who always cut the ends off the ham before she put it in the oven. One Easter, her daughter asked her why she did that.

“Well, Mother always did that. I’ll ask her.”

So she called up Grandma and asked her why she cut the ends off the ham before baking.

“I had to,” replied Grandma. “My pan was too small.”

As I think about traditions in general, especially those by which we exclude certain people, I am reminded that a lot of them got started just because our pans were too small.

In these days of pre-slicing and microwaves and convection ovens and electric can openers, those traditions just don’t make sense anymore.

It’s big pan time.


John Robert McFarland
johnrobertmcfarland@gmail.com

The “place of winter” mentioned in the title line is Iron Mountain, in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula [The UP], where life is defined by winter even in the summer! [This phrase is explained in the post for March 20, 2014.]

I tweet as yooper1721.

No comments:

Post a Comment