Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Sunday, October 25, 2015

GOD'S FAVORITE

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith for the Years of Winter… ©

I still think a lot about my friend, Mike Dickey, who died suddenly this summer. We were friends from when we first met, at age ten. Helen and I flew to AZ so I could conduct his memorial service.

There was a sharing time during the service, when any friend or family member could talk about Mike. Teri has a large family, and many of them spoke. Each started by stating his or her name, and saying, “I was Mike’s favorite… niece or brother-in-law or…”

It was done in fun, of course, but it was also true. Mike was one of those people who makes you feel like the favorite. Nothing false about it; it was just who he was.

So I hope you will understand when I say, I am God’s favorite.

John Robert McFarland
johnrobertmcfarland@gmail.com

I started this blog several years ago, when we followed the grandchildren to the “place of winter,” Iron Mountain, in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula [The UP]. I put that in the sub-title, Reflections on Faith from a Place of Winter for the Years of Winter, where life is defined by winter even in the summer! [This phrase is explained in the post for March 20, 2014.] The grandchildren, though, are grown up, so in May, 2015 we moved “home,” to Bloomington, IN, where we met and married. It’s not a “place of winter,” but we are still in winter years of the life cycle, so I am still trying to understand what it means to be a follower of Christ in winter…

I tweet as yooper1721.

No comments:

Post a Comment