Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

PRAYER AS SEEING THE UNSEEN

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith for the Years of Winter

I’m always surprised at people who do not pray. You need not believe in a God, or be an adherent of an organized, or unorganized religion, to pray.

Even insensitive people recognize that there is reality beyond what we experience with our bodily and earthly senses. Prayer is entering into that reality.

It has nothing to do with whether we “feel” something or not. I enter into many worlds each day, through sight and sound and touch, without “feeling,” without any special awareness.

I often do not get the results I want from those worlds of sight and sound and taste and touch, either. I don’t stop using those senses, though, just because they don’t provide me the views and tastes I want.

I continue to be part of the sense world through senses, and the un-sense world through prayer, because that is what it means to be human.


johnrobertmcfarland@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment