Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Bottoms Up-a poem

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith for the Years of Winter… ©

Whenever I design to lift
my bottom from a chair
or bench or patch of grass
or some other apt locale
where bottoms take their rest.
with exhortations loud
and warnings dire,
I try to do so without hands.
No fists balled hard and pushed
along beside my solid
but reluctant thighs,
trusting in the middle
of this mass of flesh
to make the bottom rise
without assist.
It never works.
Apparently all the clever lines
and memories and hopes of ages
past have settled to the bottom,
as the laws of Newton
and of gravity insist they must.
Alas, their length and breadth
are great, too great
for that now spreading middle,
however expansive it may be,
by itself alone to cause to rise
the weight of so much thought…

JRMcF
johnrobertmcfarland@gmail.com

I tweet as yooper1721.


No comments:

Post a Comment