Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Thursday, August 25, 2016

WHEN THE CHURCH LEAVES

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith for the Years of Winter

“You can’t vote for Birch Bayh and be a Christian.”

That’s exactly what the Baptist preacher in Francisco, IN told his congregation one morning. One very old lady got up and walked out. She never went back.

“I was a member there for seventy years,” she later told an old friend, my mother. “I got saved at a revival meeting at that church and was baptized there when I was twelve. I taught Sunday School for over fifty years. I worked in the kitchen every time there was a meal of any kind. My husband and I tithed, and he helped build that new building they worship in. That church was my life. I didn’t leave my church. The church left me.”

This was quite a few years ago. I’m not even sure which Birch Bayh was running for what office then. I think of it now, though, because some Birch Bayh is running for some office in Indiana, although he goes by Evan, almost his middle name, to distinguish him from his distinguished father. [1]

I’m sure there are preachers who are going to repeat this year what that Francisco preacher said back then. I’m afraid, though, that there will not be many parishioners who will walk out.

I recall a story from the early days of the Nazi regime in Germany. One elderly man had gone out to his flag pole each morning for years and years and hoisted the German Imperial flag. When the Nazis came to power, they decreed that no flag but the swastika could hence be flown. The old man went out into his yard and chopped down his flag pole.

You’re never too old to be faithful, and if the church leaves you, in order to be a Christian, the faithful thing to do is to leave the church.

JRMcF

I tweet as yooper1721.


1] Evan Bayh’s real middle name is Evans. He is Birch Evans Bayh III. 

No comments:

Post a Comment