Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Thursday, November 3, 2016

SMALL ATHEISTS ON A SMALL PLANET 11-3-16

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith for the Years of Winter

I heard Sylvia McNair, the great opera and Broadway soprano, now an IU music prof, do a TED talk, about light. She started by singing “Fly Me to the Moon,” and then pointed out that we know there are about a hundred billion universes, like ours, meaning a sun [each “star” is a sun] with its planets. I have heard that number before. I still can’t comprehend it.

It’s strange to me that atheism should arise out of awareness of the vastness of the universes. It seems just the opposite to me. Just because I can’t comprehend the vastness of the cosmos does not diminish that vastness. Just because I can’t comprehend the possibility or reality of God does not diminish the possibility or reality of God.

Occasionally I tweet something with “God” in it. In doing so, I have developed a fairly constant group of determined atheists who want to argue that “There is no God, so what you have said is irrelevant at best and more likely misleading.” They must troll for #God.

Interestingly, none has ever suggested that the problem with believing in God is that focusing “outward” on the transcendent means we don’t spend enough time on the imminent, being good citizens of this little planet, this tiny dust fleck in a corner of the cosmos. I think that’s the best atheist argument, and it’s a good one, for a lot of Christians spend so much time thinking about heaven and the after-life that they don’t have time for earth and this life. Jesus taught us to pray, “Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”

No, these are evangelistic atheists. They don’t want me to be a better citizen of the world. They only want to convert me to the “no God” position.

I don’t really care if atheists believe in God. I do care about whether they believe in the world. Christ didn’t die to get people to believe in God. Christ died to save the world.

Come on, atheists. Get with the program. What you or I believe is of little consequence. What we do is of great consequence. Yes, it’s a little planet in a minor universe, but it’s all we’ve got.

JRMcF


I tweet as yooper1721.

No comments:

Post a Comment