Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

POET IN A COFFEE SHOP, 5-16-17

POET IN A COFFEE SHOP, 5-16-17

I decided that I needed
To be a poet
In a coffee shop
This sunny morning
So off I went
To the Pour House
And got myself seated
On a hard and soul-worn bench
With the darkest of the dark roasts
In a red-striped mug
On the scarred table before me
Alas, without my pad for poems
Which watched forlornly
From across the street
In the back seat of my car
So I watched my coffee colleagues
The nerdy but pretty woman typing
At a small high table
The tall and pleasant young man
Behind the counter
Dispensing coffee and politeness
In equal measure
The lone wolves with their laptops
As far away from one another
As Scylla from Charybdis
Two middle aged faculty women
Discussing some arcane topic
Before the empty fireplace
The four bright grad students
Here only for the summer
Studying together for some project
Each just finished with the first
Year of teaching school
Now back for greater learning
how to teach English and arithmetic
While hoping for sex and beer
They all make me smile
I’m glad I forgot my poet pad


[No, I’m not writing again. I’m still fasting from being a professional Christian, trying to be a real Christian. But I start most days with a poem—unedited, just the way it comes off the top of my head--just because I want to, and because I need to write. You don’t need to read it, though, and I have told no one that I am posting in CIW again, so if you have stumbled in here by mistake, and think there will be something worthwhile to read, I apologize. JRMcF]

No comments:

Post a Comment