Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Sunday, October 22, 2017

FUN AND HATE [Sunday, October 22, 2017]


Jim and Jenny Kiefer and their daughter, Emily, spent a day with us this week, and took us to lunch. Came all the way from San Francisco to do it. Well, I think they had some other reasons to drive their VW Golf all that way, but we’re glad they included us.

Jim was an undergrad at our campus ministry, The Wesley Foundation, at Illinois State University, back in the 1960s. He is one of my children in the ministry.

I told him something I have never said before in front of those particular “children.”

When I speak to groups of ministers, or to other groups about the ministry, I say: “I have 23 children in the ministry. They say they went into the ministry because I made it look like fun. They all hate me.”

Jim got a good laugh at that, then said, “Well, I did have fun, and I don’t hate you.”

My children had fun and they don’t hate me. I’ll take that as my epitaph.

JRMcF

johnrobertmcfarland@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment