Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Thursday, March 19, 2020

THE GIRL WHO MADE ME LOSE MY MIND, AND START USING IT [R, 3-19-20]


[It’s difficult to think about anything but the Corona virus and its effects. All the more reason to try to think about “normal” things. So I have gone back to listening to [reading] the lectionary Bible readings for each week. That’s how this started, anyway…]

Jon Stroble emailed this week. It’s always so much fun to hear from him. We met in our first week at IU, walking back and forth from Linden Hall, where we were in The Residence Scholarship Program--for kids with ambition but no money, who were willing to work their way through college--to the Rogers Center [graduate students] dining hall, where we had been assigned as bus boys. We’ve been friends for 65 years. Jon probably doesn’t remember, though, the night that started me using my mind to serve God, even though he was there.

In the spring of our sophomore year, we went together to a mid-week worship service at Fairview Methodist, on the west side of town. I was a twenty-year-old IU sophomore preacher at three little Methodist churches in Greene County, and I had gotten a letter from the District Superintendent to all the pastors in the district, saying that students from an IU religious organization were speaking at Fairview, and we should go to be supportive. I did not know you could disobey the DS, and I had not been to many district meetings, and didn’t know what to expect, and didn’t want to go alone, so I got Jon to go with me.

 I definitely did not know before we went that one of the speakers would be the prettiest girl I had ever seen. [I didn’t meet Helen until a year later.] As Phyllis Krider stood there in the pulpit, I was suddenly, immediately, and completely in love. In addition to beautiful, she was so composed, and articulate, and sincere. Everything a good Christian boy could want in a girl. Everything a preacher boy could want in a wife.

She was already an RN and at IU working on a BSN. Most importantly, she belonged to an open group where I could just show up and see her again and she would have no idea that I was secretly planning how we would do morning devotions once we were married.

The kids speaking that night were from IVCF, Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship, a group I’d never heard of but which I immediately decided to join. This IVCF outfit had to be the best thing that ever happened to a Christian boy if it had girls like this. Well, specifically, it had her.

I could hardly wait until the next Wednesday night to go to the basement of The Reformed Presbyterian Church, where IVCF had its weekly gatherings. And there she was. To make a long story a little more palatable, she was kind to me, and went out with me a few times, even accompanied me to my little churches where I went to preach. But Phyllis was a mature woman, intent on a life as a missionary nurse, and I was just a moon-struck boy. She let me down so easily I didn’t know it had happened until I realized she had steered me right into the arms of Uree, another IVCF girl, as Phyllis herself quietly slipped out of my peripheral vision, but Uree is another story. [1]

I started this column because of the lectionary Gospel reading for this coming Sunday, the one in John 9 about Jesus healing the man born blind. Something happened in Bible study at IVCF that set me on a life of using my mind to serve God, as well as using my heart and soul and strength. [Luke 10:27] Learning to use my mind for God is probably the second-best thing that ever happened to me, and I owe the start of that to Phyllis. She caused me to lose my mind, over her, and to use my mind, for God.

But the story of the IVCF Bible study of John 9 will have to wait until next column, because, having lots of time on my hands in these “quarantine” days, thinking about this caused me to research Phyllis online.

I learned that Phyllis died when she was only 27, just a few years after she caused me to lose my mind. All that commitment and beauty, lost so soon. But not quite. According to his 2019 obituary, her death was the occasion of her brother, Robert, becoming a Christian, leaving his job, entering Bible college, and becoming a pastor. She would have been so pleased by that—in a composed, articulate, beautiful way.

John Robert McFarland

1] It’s in my book, The Strange Calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment