Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Wednesday, September 30, 2020

THE STOPPER [W, 9-30-20]

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith & Life for the Years of Winter



As the baseball playoffs begin, I am reminded of the pitcher called “the stopper.” If the team is in a losing streak, they need a pitcher who can win one game, someone to stop that losing streak, and give them a chance to go in the other direction. Someone like Luis Castillo or Sonny Gray, if you’re a Reds fan.

 The political playoffs are starting at the same time as the baseball playoffs. That’s one really long losing streak that needs a stopper.

I am fortunate to have several stoppers on my team, and I need them, for I get into lots of losing streaks.

First, there is the “argument with people who don’t even know I exist” streak. Boy, is that ever a loser! I muster all sorts of great arguments against said person, string together many imprecations, get my uniform all sweaty and dirty… and they don’t even know we’re having a game.

Second, I see an article or statement about sports and think it’s important.

Third, I hear a conspiracy theory about how the virus is a hoax, or the aliens have taken over Mitch McConnell and replaced him with a gorp [Actually, that one makes some sense] and get all worked up about the stupidity and gullibility and hypocrisy of people.

Fourth, I rehearse all the evil things anyone has ever done to me. I tell myself that it is so that I can forgive them, but it’s really so I won’t forget any of the steps of each stab in the back, so that I can trot them out again some time when I’m feeling ornery. There is nothing as satisfying, and nothing as destructive, as rehearing and rehashing an old slight.

So, when I realize what a losing streak I’m in, I call on the stopper. Not quite like Trevor Bauer, but right for my game…

…laughing babies and cute puppy dogs. I actually call up whole pages of images of these on my computer and just look at them.

…music. I’m old, so I listen to CDs, and watch YouTube. Also, I sing a lot on my own. Music is a great stopper. All kinds of music.

…happy memories. Family. Friends. Church. Travel.

…a walk in the trees.

…a book. Especially something like Good News from North Haven by Michael Lindvall or something by Phillip Gulley or Garrison Keillor. Or the Christmas pageant scene from A Prayer for Owen Meany.  

Well, you probably have some stoppers of your own. On with the game!

John Robert McFarland

 

No comments:

Post a Comment