Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Tuesday, November 3, 2020

HOPE-By Emily Dickinson [T, 11-3-20]

 CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith & Life for the Years of Winter

HOPE-By Emily Dickinson               [T, 11-3-20]



This election day, a word about hope is necessary, and Emily Dickinson speaks that word so well…

“Hope” is the thing with feathers-

That perches in the soul-

And sings the tune without the words-

And never stops - at all -

 

And sweetest - in the Gale - is heard -

And sore must be the storm

That could abash the little Bird

That kept so many warm -

 

I’ve heard it in the strangest land -

And in the chilliest sea -

Yet - never - in Extremity

It asked a crumb - of me.

 

John Robert McFarland

Emily Dickinson speaks so well, so to balance her, I now speak poorly a puny complaint…

One thing I’m looking forward to, hopefully--to misuse that word--is the demise of political fund-raising appeals via email. What gripes me most about them is the attempt to guilt and manipulate me into giving. “We’ve emailed you 28 times. Don’t you care about what happens to the world?”

Yes, I care, and that’s why I don’t give through you. It only encourages you to send me more emails, and to share my email address with anyone who is running for dog catcher in Podunk, Louisiana, so that they can try to bully money out of me, too. Yes, I care, and I give, but I’ll never give to/through someone who tries to bully and manipulate me.

It’s insulting that people think they can manipulate me, especially when it’s not necessary. “I’ll bet 98% of you won’t repost this.” Won’t repost what? “Cancer is bad.” “It’s better to be a good person than a bad person.” “Smiles are nice.” Those aren’t controversial! Why do you think you have to bully or manipulate someone into agreeing that cancer is bad?

Also, get off my lawn!

No comments:

Post a Comment