Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Saturday, December 12, 2020

MORNING HOUR SONG-poem [Sa, 12-12-20]

 CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith & Life for the Years of Winter

MORNING HOUR SONG-poem [Sa, 12-12-20]

 


As I sing my morning song

in a key known but to me

 

I hear the distant chant

of ancient peoples in a native tongue

wistful woodsmoke for their harmony

elk and rabbit keeping time

with watchful eye

plains song

 

I hear the chorus of solitary monks

in stone cold chapels

as lowing cows and crowing roosters

join in the monotones

of their kind

plainsong

 

I hear the moaning

clank of chains

as mocking birds and croaking toads

do grace notes as they hear

the strains of chariots swinging low

slave song

 

I hear the groaning from the cross,

the silence of an empty tomb

grumbling of the devil

and laughter of the cherubs

the morning hour song

our song

 

John Robert McFarland

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment