Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Tuesday, May 17, 2022

FINAL BENEDICTION [T, 5-17-22]

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith & Life for the Years of Winter


I loved Rachael Richardson. She was a member of my church in Charleston, IL, and a constant critic of all I did wrong. And a constant appreciator of all I did right. Because of her brusque honesty, and faithful support, we became good friends. She was the quintessential teacher. When I knew her, she was teaching English at EILU, but she had started as a grade school teacher, then went on to high school, and finally college. She said that on her gravestone, she wanted only the word TEACHER. She said that she would never retire, that they would have to carry her out of the classroom. So I was amazed when she showed up in my office one day and said that she had put in her papers for retirement. “But… I thought…you said… why now…” She smiled and said, “Just because it’s time.”

            Sometimes that “time” comes without much warning, but you know it’s right.

Thank you for reading Christ In Winter. I have enjoyed writing it for almost a dozen years now. [The first column was July 14, 2010.] But I am running low on stories, and energy, and focus, and readers. It’s time. So, now, this final benediction…

It will be soon

That final day

That final hour

With farewells said or silent

And even memory

Fades to darkest gray

Then may my hand be seen

Upraised in blessing

One final prayer of hope

For those I love

 

John Robert McFarland

 

No comments:

Post a Comment