Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Friday, May 19, 2023

EARLY MORNING TALKS [5-19-23]

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith & Life for the Years of Winter—EARLY MORNING TALKS [5-19-23]

 


I have a few friends who are still alive. I talk with them by email or in the flesh. But my older family members have all finished their earthly journeys, and most of my friends have, too. That’s one of the liabilities of old age. It’s also one of its assets.

An asset because I still have access to Grandma Mac and Uncle Randall and Uncle Johnny and Aunt Gertrude. And friends like Darrel and Don and Mike and Dr. Wilkey and Jack and Bettie…  easier access than if they were still living, because we don’t need to be in the same physical space, or even have an electronic connection. We have spiritual communication. That is immediate. I spend my first hours in the morning talking with them.

Don’t worry. I told this to my doctor, and she said it’s okay. Well, actually, she didn’t say anything, but she’s given up on getting me to do stuff, so I take silence as consent. Also, I’m her favorite patient. I think she must be writing a book.

But in the early morning hours, I ask GL or Joan what they think I should know that morning, what wisdom they have for me. I don’t “hear voices,” but they lead me back to times we’ve spent together in the past, conversations and activities, and give me a chance to look at them in a new way, because we’re both older and wiser now. Well, they’re wiser. I’m at least older.

Mostly, they say, Trust the moment. It contains everything you need.

I am thankful for those early morning talks and memories and opportunities.

John Robert McFarland

Faithful reader Nina noted that in my cooking list, in the "Hands column, I have "mac and choose. Yes, it's a typo. But yes, it's also accurate. [Also, my computer has stopped using the end quotation marks..]

 

 

2 comments:

  1. If you're nuts, then I'm nuts. Sometimes when I play my keyboard, I ask for the help of my father and two friends. All three of them have passed away. My father played the piano. And like him, I enjoy playing the keyboard/piano. Both of the friends I ask for help were musicians who died at a young age. The Bible says that Jesus conquered death - 1 Corinthians 15:55-58 English Standard Version 2016 (ESV): “O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?” I believe that my father and friends have transcended death, just like Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you get that help, David. Yes, death is real, but love transcends it.

    ReplyDelete