Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Tuesday, January 23, 2024

POEMS FOR THE END TIMES [T, 1-23-24]

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections On Faith & Life For The Years Of Winter—POEMS FOR THE END TIMES [T, 1-23-24]

 [From my poetry journal]

 


GUARDIAN WITHOUT A GATE

So long ago I was assigned

a gate in the wall

of the Kingdom

To take my stance

turning back the demons

of danger and despair

I did well

Some got through

by guile or quickness

or brute strength

But not many

Here is the problem

I did well enough

that the demons no longer try

They seem to have forgotten

about my gate

 

GETTING SOME PLACE

Since I could no

Longer run

I began to walk

Thirty-three years now

Of walking

You would think

I would have

Gotten some place

 

I ALWAYS DREAMED OF BEING A FAILED SONG WRITER

If I could write a song for you

I’d use words like hazardous and blue

For it’s dangerous to declare your love

And songs must have a color, true

You would smile and pat my head

And say you know I did my best

Then we’d have a cup of tea

About my song we would agree

That I should not day job forsake

But save the song for a somber wake

That needs a note of levity

As the corpse experiences gravity

 

TOO OLD FOR THE ROAD [with apologies to Willie]

On the street again

Cant wait to get on the street again

I already wrote my blog

Now I want to pet a dog

I can’t wait to walk on the street again

 

WHAT WE HAVE

All we truly have

is what we love

Even if we own it

if we do not love it

we do not have it

 

FINAL SATISFACTION

It is pleasant

I am sure

To be satisfied

At the end

But the end

Is often so close

That it is out of sight

Better to be satisfied

Always

 

John Robert McFarland

No comments:

Post a Comment