Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Tuesday, April 9, 2024

FOND FAREWELL [T, 4-9-24]

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith & Life for the Years of Winter—FOND FAREWELL [T, 4-9-24]

 


Well, it finally happened. I’m out of words, ideas, stories, energy. I suppose I could keep on writing if I were out of just one or two of those, but all of them together…that’s too much.

I thought I was out of writing possibilities at my birthday, Feb. 4. But I had a few more ideas, especially since Lent and Easter were on the way. But Easter is over; resurrection is here. Now seems to be a good time to say farewell.

I’ve said two or three times in the past that it was time for me to stop writing, that I was replete with depletion, but it didn’t stick. Some event or idea or memory would come along, and it just seemed right to share it.

Now the only events in my life are cups of coffee. Each one is precious to me, but provides nothing unique to share. My ideas and memories… Nothing new there. I’ve written about all of them, many times.

And energy? Just a shimmering recollection. I wouldn’t even have those cups of coffee if I didn’t make them strong enough so that they can walk from the kitchen to my sofa by themselves.

So now, you’ll just have to go elsewhere to hear shopworn stories, and irrelevant ideas, and memories of times so remote that no one today can believe that they were even real.

But sharing those shopworn stories and irrelevant ideas and remote memories has been so meaningful to me in my years of winter, and I thank you for reading them.

It would be reasonable, of course, for you to say, “Why Christ in Winter? Yes, it’s clear that you’ve been writing in the winter of your years, but why Christ in the column title? You’ve never said much about Christ.”

 Well, I’ve never said much about Jesus--even though I have a great interest in Jesus--but every searching and wondering and remembering and rejoicing word has been about Christ, for “Christ is God’s eternal answer to the world’s eternal why.”

Now, deep in winter,

fondly, farewell.

Grace and peace,

John Robert McFarland

 

2 comments:

  1. I just want to say that I have always been a fan of yours. It must have been tough to follow the Reverend Miley Palmer at Wesley United Methodist Church in Charleston, Illinois. He was a gentle giant, a cuddly teddy bear, a lovable uncle type of person. However, you wouldn't want to play him in ping pong. He had a nasty topspin forehand that really jumped off the table when it landed. All the best.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, David. It's been a pleasure to be in touch with you again.

    ReplyDelete