CHRIST IN WINTER: The
Original Sayings of An Old Man—
Well, I said it first. “I could get hit by a bus.”
Comedian Ryan Hamilton
actually did get hit by a bus. In 2025. So it was reasonable for him to say it
in his recent Netflix appearance.
Then he went on: “I know everybody anymore says that you ought to enjoy life right now, because you could get hit by a bus…”
Hold on there! What do you mean, “Everybody says it?”
So I looked it up on Google. Yes, several people have said it. Even wrote songs about it. But every reference for someone else saying it is in the 21st century. I said it way back in 1990. And again in 1995, when Now That I have Cance I Am Whole was published. So I have to assume all these 21st century people who are assuming they might get hit by buses got the idea from me and are ignoring my copyright!
It came about this way…
The pale oncologist didn’t actually say I was going to die in a year or two, but he certainly implied it. I was 53 years old. At the time, I figured that was old enough to die. Barely. But after a brief flirtation with the idea that death would clear my schedule so neatly, I had decided I didn’t want to die, even though continuing with life meant I would still have to go to committee meetings.
So, I was in the midst of
trying to recover from surgery, and undergoing a year of debilitating
chemotherapy, and working fulltime, with a congregation that was not
universally cooperative, and feeling sorry for myself, when I looked out our
front window and saw one of those huge tour buses bumping along on our brick
street.
Tour buses were a regular sight in Arcola, IL. We were in Amish country. People with cameras got on big buses and rode for miles so they could take photos of people who don’t know what a camera is. Then they went downtown, right past our house, to get lunch at The Dutch Kitchen.
Our parsonage was across the street from the church building. I made my way across the street several times each day, right in the pathway of that bus. I was barely able to move in those days. If that bus didn’t see me…
I was thinking I would die soon from cancer. Then I realized: I might not die from cancer at all; I could get hit by that bus!
It was such a great feeling of relief. There were so many ways I could die. Death from cancer was not inevitable. Saved by getting hit by the bus!
So, if you are down in the dumps one day, and worried that you might die from some dread disease, just remind yourself: I could get hit by a bus.
And remember who to thank
for the idea…and it’s not Ryan Hamilton.
John Robert McFarland
A reminder in case you
think I stay up too late or get up too early: The posting time listed on these
columns is California time, because that is where Blogspot, my gracious host,
is located. I live in the Eastern time zone, so if Blogspot says I’m posting at
2:30 in the morning, it’s 5:30 where I am.




No comments:
Post a Comment