Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Monday, January 17, 2011

The Care of the Earth

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith For the Years of Winter…

There is a story about an old man on his death bed.

“Is my loving wife here?” he asks.

“Yes,” she whispers.

“Are my beautiful children and grandchildren here?” he asks.

“Yes, we are here,” they reply in choking voices.

“Are all my friends, of my youth and my old age, here?” he asks.

“Yes,” they chorus.

“Then why is the light on in the kitchen?”

Some people seem to think that’s a story about me, through a proleptic forward leap. Daughter Katie even says she is going to tell that story at my funeral.

I grew up in a time of necessary frugality with natural resources. I have continued that frugality for the sake of the planet and those who must live in it in years to come. I think God has given us the stewardship of this happy creation of the divine hand, this planet. It’s a serious but joyful responsibility. I’m not just being cheap; I’m being theological.

I hope Katie does tell that story at my funeral. I don’t think the devil will want a guy who keeps turning down the thermostat.

JRMcF

{I also write the fictional “Periwinkle Chronicles” blog. One needs a rather strange sense of humor to enjoy it, but occasionally it is slightly funny. It is at http://periwinklechronicles.blogspot.com/}

(If you would prefer to receive either “Christ In Winter” or “Periwinkle Chronicles” via email, just let me know at jmcfarland1721@charter.net, and I’ll put you on the email list.)

No comments:

Post a Comment