Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Sunday, February 13, 2011

My Guitar Pick

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith For the Years of Winter…

I’ll have a guitar pick with me this afternoon when Helen and I go up to Fortune Lake for the Second Sunday Folk Dances. I don’t play guitar, but I always carry a pick with me. I don’t think Dean Premo will forget his pick today, but just in case, I’ll be ready.

My daughters say that I am the only person in the world who actually carries cargo in his cargo pockets. But I was cargo before cargo was cool. I need a lot of big pockets, because I carry a lot of stuff around with me. Just in case, I like to be ready.

I have pens and a note pad, of course. Sun glasses. A case for my regular glasses. Cell phone.

The usual stuff—keys, billfold. A change purse, because watching an old man count out the correct change is always the highlight of a cashier’s day.

I always have an extra, clean handkerchief. I started carrying one in high school. For some reason, the girls I dated cried a lot.

I always carry three little soft plastic bears—white, brown, and black. You never know when you are going to run into a little child who is having a bad day, in the mall or at Wal-Mart or in a restaurant or in the doctor’s waiting room. As the hunters UP here would tell you, nothing brightens up a day like getting a bear. Especially if you get to choose the color.

I carry a Swiss army knife. You can do anything with a Swiss army knife.

I carry a little pack of craisins in case a diabetic needs a quick pickup. I also have aspirin and Tylenol and cough drops. Chapstick.

I have safety pins of various sizes, paper clips, nail clippers, a basketball inflating needle.

And, most importantly, the guitar pick. I don’t want to be in a situation where someone says, “Gee, we could have music, but no one has a pick.” I never want to be the one who is to blame because there is no music.

JRMcF

{I also write the fictional “Periwinkle Chronicles” blog. One needs a rather strange sense of humor to enjoy it, but occasionally it is slightly funny. It is at http://periwinklechronicles.blogspot.com/}

(If you would prefer to receive either “Christ In Winter” or “Periwinkle Chronicles” via email, just let me know at jmcfarland1721@charter.net, and I’ll put you on the email list.)

No comments:

Post a Comment