Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Saturday, May 31, 2014

The Last Mile...again


CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith from a place of winter For the Years of Winter…

Not many couples any more will celebrate an anniversary under the sign of the double nickel. People get married later in life and don’t stay married as long. Helen and I are blessed to be in the last generation where 50 years of marriage is an expectation. Today marks 55 years for us. [I’m sure she would like for me to point out that she was a child bride.] It seems a good time to repost the lyrics to a song I wrote…

I’LL WALK THE LAST MILE WITH YOU

On the bright white floral morning
When we could see forever
And the path was paved with blossoms for our feet
We clasped our hands together
And this is what I whispered
I’ll walk the last mile with you

I’ll walk the last mile with you
          Wherever this road takes us
In sunshine or in rain
In gladness or in pain
I’ll walk the last mile with you

On those chill still rainy mid-days
When storm clouds gathered o’er us
And the way was only mud beneath our feet
We linked our arms together
And this is what I stammered
I’ll walk the last mile with you

I’ll walk the last mile with you
          Wherever this road takes us
In sunshine or in rain
In gladness or in pain
I’ll walk the last mile with you

On this low slow lingering evening
When the light is growing dimmer
And the road is long behind our weary feet
We shall press our lips together
And with our fading breath say
I’ll walk the last mile with you.

I’ll walk the last mile with you
          Wherever this road takes us
In sunshine or in rain
In gladness or in pain
I’ll walk the last mile with you

John Robert McFarland

Old friends Pat and Lyndon Dean asked for permission to print this on the bulletins for their funeral services.

The “place of winter” mentioned in the title line is Iron Mountain, in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, where life is defined by winter even in the summer!

You don’t have to bookmark or favorite the CIW URL to return here. Just Google Christ In Winter and it will show up at the top of the page.

I have also started an author blog, about writing, in preparation for the publication, by Black Opal Books, of my novel, VETS, in late 2014 or early 2015. For some reason it does not appear when Googled, even though it’s a Google blog. http://johnrobertmcfarland-author.blogspot.com/

I tweet as yooper1721.

No comments:

Post a Comment