Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Yes, I Am Happy For Her-a poem

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith from a Place of Winter for the Years of Winter… ©

You don’t need to tell me that I should be happy
for her, I am,
the little ingrate, going off
to college, to live her own
life, without me, the one
who has let her hug me anytime,
as much as she wanted, the one
who trusts her for information
about the current age, in which I live,
but which does not live in me,
I, who have let her fix my computer
whenever it has descended
into digital hell, in HD, yet,
I who have never dropped
a telephone into the toilet,
for it is only her generation
that drops phones into the toilet
from the hip pockets of their jeans,
I who screamed only once, maybe twice,
but not really all that loudly,
even though people in Norway
complained, as she practiced
driving in my new car,
so stop telling me, dammit,
that I should be happy
for her.
I am.

John Robert McFarland

The “place of winter” mentioned in the title line is Iron Mountain, in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, where people are Yoopers, a word in the new Merriam-Webster dictionary, and life is defined by winter even in the summer! [This phrase is explained in the post for March 20, 2014.]

You don’t have to bookmark or favorite the CIW URL to return here. Just Google Christ In Winter and it will show up at the top of the page.

I have also started an author blog, about writing, in preparation for the publication, by Black Opal Books, of my novel, VETS, in late 2014 or early 2015. For some reason it does not appear when Googled, even though it’s a Google blog. http://johnrobertmcfarland-author.blogspot.com/

I tweet as yooper1721.


No comments:

Post a Comment