Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Friday, November 14, 2014

Working the Angles--a poem

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith from a Place of Winter for the Years of Winter… ©

In pickle ball I am not as fast
or strong as those with younger
legs, and so I work
the angles,
paddle turned a few degrees
to guide the ball just inside
the lines, just outside
the reach of those on the wrong
side of the net.
The other players call me
St. John of the Angles.
The rest of the time
I work the angels,
to stay just inside
the lines, just outside
the reach of those on the wrong
side of joy.

John Robert McFarland
johnrobertmcfarland@gmail.com

The “place of winter” mentioned in the title line is Iron Mountain, in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, where life is defined by winter even in the summer! [This phrase is explained in the post for March 20, 2014.]

I have also started an author blog, about writing, in preparation for the publication, by Black Opal Books, of my novel, VETS, in 2015. http://johnrobertmcfarland-author.blogspot.com/


I tweet as yooper1721.

No comments:

Post a Comment