Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Thursday, December 11, 2014

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith from a Place of Winter for the Years of Winter… ©


If you know me, or have read this blog before, you have reason to expect a story. That’s what I do. That is what has appeared in this blog before. Some days, though, I do not have a story. I apologize for inflicting upon you rough-draft “poetry,” but some days, that’s what I have.

Some saint proclaimed
that when my name is called
upon that day of final reckoning,
“Settlement Day” come ‘round at last,
I shall be called to task
for every thing of beauty I did not enjoy.
Saints are always right,
but it is not just beauty missed
that is a blot upon the record and the soul.
I shall be called to account for
every chance for love that I did not embrace,
every moment for giving thanks when I was silent,
every step when someone faltered
and I did not extend an arm to steady,
every opportunity for praise
that I squandered in self-pity.
Why lose even one precious second
mired in mud
when my soul
has wings?


John Robert McFarland
johnrobertmcfarland@gmail.com

The “place of winter” mentioned in the title line is Iron Mountain, in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, where life is defined by winter even in the summer! [This phrase is explained in the post for March 20, 2014.]

I have also started an author blog, about writing, in preparation for the publication, by Black Opal Books, of my novel, VETS, in 2015. http://johnrobertmcfarland-author.blogspot.com/

I tweet as yooper1721.


No comments:

Post a Comment