Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

MORE LIKE OURSELVES

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith for the Years of Winter… ©

An old friend told me a story of his mother, who had been in an Alzheimer’s unit for several years. I had known his mother since I was a kid. She was always a lady, in the old-fashioned, good sense. She was not “prim and proper,” but “neat,” in all the meanings of that word. So I was not surprised by this story, because mostly as we age we become more like ourselves.

Dave and his wife, Maggie, were visiting with Beulah in the lounge off the office one day when a middle-aged woman came in and signed her mother in. The mother was fine until they came out of the office and the daughter was getting ready to leave and it was clear the mother wasn’t going with her. When the mother found out that she had been consigned to an Alzheimer’s unit, she threw a fit.

Beulah leaned over to Dave and said, “If I ever have to live in a place like this, I’m certainly not going to act like that.”

JRMcF
johnrobertmcfarland@gmail.com

I became disturbed by the huge number of military suicides, both veterans and active duty, so I wrote VETS, about four handicapped and homeless Iraqistan veterans accused of murdering a VA doctor. It’s a darn good tootin’ adventure mystery story. My royalties go to helping prevent veteran suicides. You can buy it at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc.

I tweet as yooper1721.


No comments:

Post a Comment