Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

PRAYING FOR CHILDREN, YOUNG & OLD W, 2-8-17

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Life and Faith for the Years of Winter


I recently picked up a new child for my prayer list. That’s a fairly common occurrence. I have a long list of children I pray for, from babies to kids in their fifties. I pray for a lot of people, including children, just in general, but this particular group is for kids with specific problems, from cancer to adolescent angst to addictions to lost mates and lost jobs to joint replacements.

Yes, joint replacements. Those kids in their fifties are still children. We knew their parents before they were born. They are mature, competent adults now, but they are still children to us, and so when they are hurting, even as parents or grandparents themselves, I feel that it is a responsibility and a privilege to pray for them as children.

I have no idea how intercessory prayer works. I’m very sure that neither I nor others, probably not even all of us together, change God’s mind to do something merciful that God would not otherwise will. But there is more going on in the spiritual world than any of us understands. Sometimes we encounter “thin” places [1] where presences and powers get through. I think praying for others helps to create and use those thin places.

And as the wonderful Rachel Naomi Remen says, “Kissing the booboo isn’t intended to take away the pain. It takes away the loneliness.” I want any child, regardless of age, to know that at least one person is with them in their pains, through prayer.

JRMcF

I tweet as yooper1721.


1] “Thin places” is not original with me. I have read CS Lewis and heard Madeline L’Engle speak of thin places.

No comments:

Post a Comment