Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Sunday, January 28, 2018

PERSONAL THEME SONGS [Sun, 1-28-18]

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith and Life for the Years of Winter…

I had to stop everything. “Like a Bridge Over Troubled Waters” just came on the radio. There are some songs that just have to be listened to.

Some things should not be interrupted, like writing Christ In Winter, or I’ll forget what I was going to say. But there are certain songs that will not allow me to continue what I’m doing.

Haven’t you ever sat in the driveway, waiting for a song to end, before you got out of the car and went into your house? Some folks claim they have even pulled over onto the side of the road because they couldn’t even drive as they heard a particular song. [1]

I have to be very careful what I’m doing as I listen. I’m old. If I get interrupted by a song that requires listening, I’ll never remember what I was doing. Later I’ll say, “I wonder why Helen put this WD40 in the refrigerator.”

Songs tell stories, even the “songs” that don’t have words. [2]

Occasionally, as part of my morning meditations, or as I walk, which is also usually a time of meditation, I think about each stage of my life—childhood, school, parenting, working. I think about each place I’ve lived. For each of those stages and places, I figure out which song is my theme song. Try it. I think you’ll enjoy it.

For my campus ministry days in the 1960s, my theme song is “We Shall Overcome.” For my pastoring days, my theme is “I Love to Tell the Story.” In old age, my theme is “Where, or Where Did My Little…” What’s the rest of that song, anyway?


JRMcF

I tweet as yooper1721.

1] That’s different from pulling over because you just saw those “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.”

2] The slogan of Black Opal Books, the publisher of my novel, VETS, about four homeless and handicapped Iraqistan veterans, is: “Because some stories just have to be told.” I like that.


No comments:

Post a Comment