Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Friday, April 20, 2018

THE PROBLEM WITH SHOES [F, 4-20-18]


CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith & Life for the Years of Winter..

After I have put on shoes in the morning, I try to get everything done for the whole day that requires shoes. Taking shoes off and putting them back on again is a lot of work. Surely once a day should suffice.

Retying the laces takes a lot of work, too, especially the bending over part. Or the raising the foot up to a tying level on a chair or park bench. So I tie the laces really tight, to be sure I don’t have to retie. Except untying laces when they are tied really tight takes a lot of work.

My wife had to go to the podiatrist. He “gave” her inserts for her shoes. They are quite helpful in reducing pain. Her pain. My pain has increased considerably since there is not enough room for old feet and new inserts together in old shoes and so she is now “required” to buy new shoes into which the old feet and the new inserts together will fit. That’s another problem with shoes in old age.

Life is too short, especially when you’re old, to waste any time on changing clothes. The old people’s fashion principal is: Whatever I’ve already got on is good enough for wherever I’m going.

I suppose to younger people this disregard for fashion seems a result of weakness of limb or wavering of mind. Actually, it is the result of purity of heart. Soren Kierkegaard says that “purity of heart is to will one thing.” I “will” put shoes on only once a day.

We old folks no longer have to impress others with our appearance. We know that we are accepted by God, and so we are able to accept ourselves, just as we are, coffee stain on the shirt and all. That is the gift and good news of old age. That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.

JRMcF
johnrobertmcfarland@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment