Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Tuesday, April 30, 2019

WORKING FOR PAY


For over sixty years
I worked for pay
The first years and the last years
were only part-time work
but they were the best
In them I made real money

Not the invisible money
that goes directly into a bank
or multiplies in the dark
of a pension hoard
but real hard money
Cash on the spot

Ready to exchange
for a cold drink
on a hot and hazy day
or a gallon of gas
to take me beyond the limits

There was such satisfaction
standing there, hands held out
as a supplicant ready
to accept the host
of communion, receiving
the daily bread

As I prepare
for my last pay
I hold me hands ready
in Eucharistic pose
and pray, “Give me this day…”

John Robert McFarland

“I can’t help but wonder where I’m bound, where I’m bound…” Tom Paxton

No comments:

Post a Comment