Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Sunday, July 21, 2019

UNRECORDED, A Poem


CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith & Life for the Years of Winter – UNRECORDED, A Poem

[After reading Mary Oliver’s poem of the same name.]

I would love to stand
at the door at dawn
notebook in my hand
to write the scene

birds backlighted
in the sky
sun beginning its smile
creatures of the night
returning to safety

but I live
where concrete grows
beyond my door
waiting for me to slip
and crack my head
bricks beside my window
remind me to stay put

birds shout angrily
at the requirement
to eat worms
squirrels uproot
flowers to hide
their greedy hoard

best to leave
the notebook
in the drawer
leave this scene
unrecorded

John Robert McFarland

“The thing about great poetry is that we have no defenses against it.” David Whyte

No comments:

Post a Comment