Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Thursday, November 18, 2021

TOMORROW [From my poetry journal] [R, 11-18-21]

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith & Life for the Years of Winter



I do not think it is

either laziness or negligence

[two rather unpoetic words for a poem]

that makes me put it off

It is just that I am so comfortable

here on the sofa

with my still-warm coffee cup

and tomorrow’s schedule is not at all

That day called tomorrow is

free and open, no marks on the calendar

plenty of time to do it then

One of the good gifts of old age, it is,

that unscheduled, open tomorrow

it would be churlish to refuse it

[No, “churlish” is a good word for a poem]

But is it that I am trying to deny death

thinking that I can delay it, too,

by putting all these other “its” off?

A good question, that needs attention

Soon

But my cup is not yet empty

and the sofa is still beneath me

There is plenty of time

to think about that

tomorrow…

 

John Robert McFarland

No comments:

Post a Comment