Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Thursday, December 9, 2021

DECEMBER SONG poem [12-5-21, a repeat from 12-10-19]

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith & Life for the Years of Winter

 


I don’t have any new Christmas stories. I don’t have any new stories at all, since I don’t do anything or go anyplace or think anything. [Don’t feel sorry for me; I’m fine like this.] But Christmas is a time for re-hearing the old stories, and, besides, Fred Skaggs says it’s OK for me to do repeats when I run out of new stuff.

DECEMBER SONG poem [12-5-21, a repeat from 12-10-19]

As the light fades

the way toward home

grows dim

 

Dust motes linger

tiny statues in still air

 

Shadows lean long

through bare limbs

maple trees so recent

full to overflowing

with wild dancing leaves

 

Silhouettes of wild

blackberry canes

hover ghostly on the berm

beneath a slivery moon

 

Fence posts tilt toward dusk

The wires between go slack

Sassafras leaves are dusty

with forgotten days

The ditch is dry and cracked

 

The light grows dim

I have no lantern

but I know the way

 

John Robert McFarland

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment