Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Wednesday, December 1, 2021

HEADED FOR THE PROMISED LAND

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith & Life for the Years of Winter

HEADED FOR THE PROMISED LAND

A Song to Start An Average Advent [12-1-21]

 


I do not set out to write a song or poem. Occasionally, however, my muse--raspberry jam smeared face and all—puts one into my head. They just happen. Don’t get me wrong. I’m sure the best songs and poems are done by folks who say, “I’m going to write a song about…” That, however, is far too organized and intentional for my randomizing brain.

Anyway, since my musical spirit and my theological soul were formed and informed by Appalachian folk songs [I wonder as I wander…], and Negro Spirituals [Swing low, sweet chariot…], usually brought together into a church basement Sunday School song [Pass me not, o gentle savior…] that’s how the songs I write come out. So it is with “Headed for the Promised Land.”

There are many Gospel songs and Spirituals about the promised land. For Hebrews, it was the physical place of what we now call “The Holy Land.” For Negro slaves, it was a spiritual realm, but also often a physical place, of physical freedom, the North.

For Christians, it is the spiritual promised land of resurrection. There’s a catch, though. To get to the Promised Land of Resurrection, flowing with milk and honey, one must wander through the desert of Crucifixion.

One way or another, physical or spiritual, now or then, we all hope for a land of promise…

Yes, there are already many songs about the promised land, including one by one of my favorite hymn writers, Natalie Sleeth. My muse, however, does not think that song writing is either competitive or exclusivist, so… 

HEADED TOWARD THE PROMISED LAND-An Advent Song

[As always, any tune you wish, except for “Bill Grogan’s Goat.”] 

VERSE 1

Gathered here together

Singing as best we can

Hearing the Bible stories

Trying to understand

Lifting our hearts in prayer and praise

Offering God our nights and days

Joining our voices in the gospel band

We’re headed for the promised land 

REFRAIN

Oh yes, we’re headed for the promised land

Part of the gospel band

Good news we’ll share

Til we get there

Were headed for the promised land 

VERSE 2

Going to the byways

To invite the shunned and lame

Shouting out this great good news

God loves us all the same

Reaching out hands to help and heal

Offering to all the communion meal

Pulling up the fallen so that all can stand

We’re headed for the promised land 

REFRAIN

Oh yes, we’re headed for the promised land

Part of the gospel band

Good news we’ll share

Til we get there

Were headed for the promised land 

VERSE 3

Singing ‘til our voice

Is finally stilled by death

Offering to the spirit

E’en our last slight breath

Accepting God’s forgiveness

While our sins confess

Trusting then as ever in god’s mighty hand

We’re headed for the promised land 

REFRAIN

Oh yes, we’re headed for the promised land

Part of the gospel band

Good news we’ll share

Til we get there

Were headed for the promised land 

John Robert McFarland

Yes, I know I used both “for” and “toward” interchangeably. There surely must be a good reason…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment