Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Tuesday, January 31, 2023

THE SOBER ONE AT THE PARTY [T, 1-31-23]

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith & Life for the Years of Winter: THE SOBER ONE AT THE PARTY  [T, 1-31-23]

 


I started seminary at Perkins School of Theology at SMU in great part because of Schubert Ogden. He was very young at the time, barely over 30, and Perkins had hired him as a professor of theology even before his PhD dissertation was finished.

Joseph Quillian, the dean, and the 33rd Methodist minister in the Quillian family, was building a theological juggernaut at Perkins. He was luring established and much-lauded scholars like Albert Outler, and successful and experienced preachers like Grady Hardin, and mixing them with young groundbreakers like Ogden and Van Harvey.

Dean Quillian wanted Perkins students taught by the best, and that was Schubert Ogden in theology. His dissertation, Christ Without Myth, was a reaction to Rudolf Bultmann’s existentialist, demythologizing theology, with was the cutting edge of theology in the 1950s. Ogden neither embraced nor rejected Bultmann, but went beyond him.

As former students reflected upon Professor Ogden at the time of his death, the most-oft heard phrase was, “He taught me to think.” That is a wonderful epitaph. The most important thing a teacher at any level can do it teach a student to think.

I say the following not with pride but with gratitude: I already knew how to think when I went to seminary. I’d had good teachers in my family and in school, from elementary on through university. I was an experienced theological thinker from age fourteen, when I was sure that God had worked a miracle to save my sister’s life. But most of all, I’d had narrative.

Early in my career, I heard some professor say that a sermon could be either a string of beads or a handful of confetti. He obviously thought string of beads was right. So I worked at that.

I could do beads preaching, because I loved stories. They started with “Once upon a time…” and ended with “…happily ever after.” You could count on that. But I came to understand that bead-string preaching was not helpful to some of my listeners. Neither their brains nor their lives were set up to do a string of beads. So, I tried to tell the story of God in such a way that both beads people and confetti people could see themselves in it.

It was because Joe Quillian was hiring people like Ogden that my bishop, Richard Raines, said that if he were going to seminary now [1960], he would go to Perkins. That was theology’s leading edge. So that’s where I went…and enjoyed it, until Helen and I were fired from the community center where we worked for admitting black children. Being unable to stay in seminary without a job, we returned to Indiana. Bishop Raines gave me an appointment at Cedar Lake, IN, just south of Gary, and I finished seminary at Garrett, in Evanston, IL.

It was probably a mistake to go to Dallas. It would have been far simpler to “stay home” and go to Garrett from the start. But we made good friends, and I was taught by good thinkers, like Schubert Ogden. I’ve always told young preachers that before you can preach well, you have to think well.

These days, I’m not sure that it’s a good idea to teach people to think. If you can think well in today’s society, you’re always like the only sober person at a drunken party. I’ve been that one sober person, and it’s quite boring.

John Robert McFarland

 

3 comments:

  1. Well! Another good thing you got out of Dallas was meeting Marilyn (and reknowing me). Interesting about Perkins or Garrett. During the last week as a Senior at IU, I got two letters in the mail on the same day. One from Garrett and one from Perkins, both indicating I had been accept to attend. I chose Perkins, because it was closer to home. If I had chosen Garrett I would have met you and Helen there rather than Perkins...win-win. In that same mailing, I got job offer from Schlumberger to go to Venezuela to hustle jugs (seismograph). Deeply sorry about the firing at the community center. I got the same treatment in New Paris, Indiana when I went off to a Clergy Lay Concerned about Vietnam Rally in Washington D.C. in late 60s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spending time with you, Bob, and getting to do the same with Bob Kochtitzky and Woody Smith and Jimmy Jones and Roy Melugin and Harold Reynolds and Merle Lehman...well, those were relationships that fed me for a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not so impressed with your last article but that you posted it at 4 something in the morning. What is it about us old people that we get three hours before the sun rises? Maybe its because we go to sleep while it is still light outside! Or the one-hour nap at 2pm. Anyway. 4 A.M. is a good time to write on a blog or a sermon. I know what you mean Charlie's tears about forgetting the next line of the Lord's Prayer. Especially since we have a new form of it in inclusive language. Peace, Bob

    ReplyDelete