Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Thursday, June 15, 2023

REINCARNATION, a poem [R. 6-15-23]

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith & Life for the Years of Winter—REINCARNATION, a poem [R. 6-15-23]

 


I met a man who believes

in reincarnation, he said

 

Not to claim laurels past

to alleviate his current lowly state

Not for him a kingship then

Nor even feudal fiefdom

But a drawer of water

and hewer of wood

 

Which makes his present state

of driving a big rig

a step up the ladder

of spirit recycling

 

It makes me wonder…

 

If he is right

then what was I in my former lives

A bishop, a soldier?

The lonely sheriff

in a rowdy Western town?

 

Probably a penniless poet

on a windy day

begging passersby

for pen and paper

since mine had blown away

gone with the wind

 

Oh, there’s a title to use

I said

back then…

 

John Robert McFarland

 

1 comment:

  1. I like this.
    But the part that made me smile the most was "posted ... at 4:11 AM."

    ReplyDelete