Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Friday, June 30, 2023

THOSE WERE THE DAYS [F, 6-30-23]

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith & Life for the Years of Winter—THOSE WERE THE DAYS [F, 6-30-23]

 


Last night I was on a regular Zoom meeting with the few friends left from our action days. Those were the days…

I was much taken with Mary Hopkin’s recording of “Those Were the Days” in 1968. I was only 31 then, in campus ministry, a long career ahead of me, working to make the world a better place. Still, I understood that song then; I knew it would someday be mine, and my friends’.

I have re-written it to fit the generation of those who sang it then, but understand now that in old age, we do not have the energy or time to “work out our salvation” through good deeds.  We must trust in mercy alone.

[If you’re not sure of the tune, you can get Hopkin’s recording on YouTube.]

VERSE 1

Once upon a time

There was a new church

where we met

to share the Gospel Word

We sang and prayed

with hands clasped tight together

and talked of how we’d bring

change to the world

REFRAIN 1

Those were the days, my friend

we thought they’d never end

we’d storm the crumbling ramparts of the past

we’d beat the Gospel drum

we knew we’d overcome

we were sure that evil could not last

VERSE 2

Then the days of meetings came upon us

minutes, notes, and memos filled our days

if by chance I saw you in the hallway

we’d smile at one another and we’d say

REFRAIN 2

These are our days, my friend

It seems they’ll never end

We have so many meetings to attend

But climb that ladder we must

Reach the top or bust

These are our days, my friend, these are our days

VERSE 3

Just tonight I stood before that old church

Nothing seemed the way it used to be

In stained glass I saw a strange reflection

Was that lonely Christian really me?

REFRAIN 3

These are days of judgment, friend,

when we must learn to bend

our will to that of the Divine

We’ll set our pride aside

with peaceful souls abide

We’ll share the Gospel’s bread and wine

VERSE 4

Through the door there came the sound of singing

I looked inside and saw your smiling face

In the faults and failures of our dreaming

we’ve learned to trust in God’s redeeming grace

REFRAIN 4

These are the days, my friend

We know they’ll never end

even though we each must face the grave

We live by mercy now

We have learned to bow

These are God’s days, my friend, these are God’s days

 

John Robert McFarland

Mary Hopkin’s recording is of Gene Raskin’s English words to the Russian song, “By The Long Road,” by Boris Fomin.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment