Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Tuesday, August 22, 2023

POEMS OF SUMMER [8-22-23]

 CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith & Life for the Years of Winter—POEMS OF SUMMER [8-22-23]

 Some poems from my journal of the summer months…

 


THE GIRLS OF SUMMER

The girls of summer

push balky walkers

along mean corridors

at Shady Pines

and wonder

where they left

their summer hats

 

TO EACH HIS OWN

there are those much older

than I who run long

distances, play the trumpet

loudly, dance to midnight

climb tall mountains

then sail o’er the valley

below on gossamer wings

while I consider it victory

to negotiate the treacherous

path from kitchen

to living room without

spilling a drop of the cup

of coffee kindness

 

WHIMSICAL SPIRITS

As I grow older

They have revealed

Themselves to me

The whimsical spirits

In green leaves

And rain drops

They trust me now

 

GLOBAL WARMING

I know that it’s bad

Will destroy us all

But on this bright spring day

That fifty-five years ago

Was fifty-five degrees

Feeling the soft breeze

Of a summer-like day

I’m thankful for it

 

AT HOME

thoughtfulness of thunder

impatience of lightning

persistence of wind

omniscience of rain

I am always at home

in a storm

 

thoughtfulness of sorrow

impatience of sin

persistence of death

omniscience of love

I am always at home

in a storm

 

John Robert McFarland

 

No comments:

Post a Comment