Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Sunday, August 13, 2023

STORING UP SUMMER-poem [Sun, 8-12-23]

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith & Life for the Years of Winter--STORING UP SUMMER-poem [Sun, 8-12-23]

 


As I walk

carefully watching

for broken concrete

slippery spots of mud

the occasional acorn

or oak burr

to turn my ankle

I sometimes see ahead

a stretch of even way

that allows me to look up

Each time, I am surprised

again by the August sky

The infant baby blue

The cotton ball whites

framed by green leaves

of the near horizon

I want to store it up

against the winter cold

put it in a jar

the way we do

with summer fruit

peaches and cherries

save it for the frigid days

But there is no way

to preserve a summer day

Sufficient for this day

is the August sky

 

john Robert McFarland

 

No comments:

Post a Comment