Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Wednesday, August 28, 2024

WALK-UP MUSIC [W, 8-28-24]

BEYOND WINTER: The Irrelevant Musings of an Old Man—WALK-UP MUSIC [W, 8-28-24]

 


The recent Republican and Democrat political conventions, and political rallies in general, have focused attention, at least some of it, on “walk on” music, or “walk up” music, as we say in baseball.

Perhaps one of the most familiar, for old people, is “Happy Days Are Here Again,” used by FDR and Democrats in their conventions as The Great Depression ended.

I know most of the songs the Republicans currently use. They’ve been around long enough for an old man to be familiar with them. It’s different with the Democrats. They play current stuff--songs with strange names by singers with even stranger names. I have probably heard those songs, accidentally, but I don’t know their names. I have heard of singers like Megan Thee Stallion, but anyone who has not been interviewed by David Letterman is, to me, unknown.

It's always fun to see if I can recognize the chosen song as a ball player comes to bat. Joey Votto, the long-time first baseman of the Cincinnati Reds, used Dolly Parton’s “Jolene” as his walkup music. No one knows why, except that Joey does things his own way. And who doesn’t like Dolly?

One of my best baseball music experiences was with Aunt Gertrude at a Reds game back in Riverfront Stadium days. They announced that it was the umpire’s birthday, and the park organist played “Bad, Bad Leroy Brown.” [“He’s the baddest man in town…”] Aunt Gertrude recognized it immediately and laughed so hard.

Anyway, I got to thinking about what song I want for walk-up music as I ascend the golden stairs to the heavenly reaches.

Something funny? White and Nerdy, by Weird Al Yankovic? God does have a sense of humor, after all. I mean, look at bananas and platypuses. You want God in a good mood when you get there.

Or something placating? Amazing Grace, By John Newton? I have been a big sinner, after all, and it’s okay to remind God about forgiveness.

 Something that summarizes how I have lived my life? Take Me Out to the Ball Game, by Jack Norwith and Albert Von Tilzer? We do have a responsibility to be honest, after all. And we know baseball is the most heavenly of games, all that emphasis on getting to home and such.

Well, I’d better think a bit longer. But, while we’re at it, what’s your walk-up song?

John Robert McFarland

Okay, I’ll probably go with I Know the Lord Has Laid His Hand on Me. God does need reminders sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. "Maria" either the West Side Story version or the Sound of Music version "How do you solve a problem like Maria"

    ReplyDelete