Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Monday, September 16, 2024

POETRY POTPOURRI [M, 9-16-24]

BEYOND WINTER: The Irrelevant Musings of an Old Man—POETRY POTPOURRI [M, 9-16-24]

 


NO THEME: JUST SELECTIONS FROM MY POETRY JOURNAL…

[Sat, 8-24-24]

THE END OF MORNING

I love this time of day

just before a lunch in early afternoon

The list that must be done at dawn

is completed or forgotten

The errands of the notebook run

The coffee of mid-morning gone

Now no invisible judge can see

me as I grasp a book

so redolent with frivolity

that only a man of great wisdom

would dare to read it

 

[T, 8-20-24]

SEVEN BROWN-EYED SUSANS

They peek from behind

the gas meter

in the weed-filled pebble plot

of our absentee neighbors

Volunteer,

“Happy to be here”

No one other passes by

I alone see their smiling faces

They are enough for me

I am enough for them

 

[r, 8-1-24]

FINDING ANSWERS

Yes, it is true, the answer

is blowin’ in the wind

It is also falling in the rain

and growing in the hollyhocks

and muddling ‘round in humidity

and floating in the clouds

The answer is not

that hard to find

 

[w, 7-31-24]

FINALLY IN THE EVERLASTING ARMS

No, you are not forgotten, my friend

not as long as I still take

the ways we once walked together

When the time comes

that even the letters and numbers

on your stone are erased

by wind and rain and time

and I have joined you in death

Only then shall you be

completely in the everlasting arms

 

John Robert McFarland

I apologize to Christian Wiman, but not to Mary Oliver.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment