Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Wednesday, July 15, 2020

“IT’S NOT TOO LATE UNLESS YOU DON’T START NOW.” [W, 7-15-20]


“DAILY” DEVOTIONAL-Listening for the Spirit
“IT’S NOT TOO LATE UNLESS YOU DON’T START NOW.”  [W, 7-15-20]



We used to have an in-law family which was known for interesting characters, who made interesting statements, like describing an altercation between their dog and cat by saying, “They were fighting like animals!”

The best one, though, was the night one woman called another and said, “Start worrying. I’ll give you the details later,” and hung up.

I feel like I’ve been in that “worrying now” phase for about four months. Occasionally I get some details, but they just lead to another round of worrying in general, without knowing exactly what the details of the need for worry will be.

That makes praying difficult. When I pray, it helps if I have details. A general prayer, like “God, bless everybody, and keep everybody safe,” is sort of like spinning a Tibetan prayer wheel, a rather lazy approach to prayer. The more I know, the better I pray.

Yes, I don’t know if my prayers affect anyone else or not, but I know they affect me, and the better I pray, the greater the solace for my soul.

However, if we don’t have the details, better to spark a prayer of generalities into the darkness, than to let that darkness stand with no light at all.

So, start praying. I’ll give you the details later.

JRMcF

I got the title statement from Barbara Sher.

The psychologists say that the task of old age is to make peace with one’s past. I’ve made peace with my past; that’s no problem. It’s with my present that I’m having trouble making peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment