Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Place and Years of Winter

I am continuing my Periwinkle Chronicles blog. It is intended to be humorous, in a thoughtful way, and sometimes it is.

There are thoughts I'd like to write down and share that do not fit in PC, however, so...

"Christ In Winter" is intended to be serious, specifically theological, although I believe that God gave us theology for fun, and that the main cause of sin is an absence of humor.

I am in the winter of my years, and I live in the place of winter. Winter defines life in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, even in summer, when people live intensely summer lives, trying to use the short summer season to the fullest. Paul McFarland, my cousin, who now lives in FL but spent most of his life in OH, says that in the UP winter isn't just something to get through, it's a world unto itself. He is right.

Now I live intensely the winter of my years, a world unto itself, not just a season to get through, but an opportunity to pull it all together, whatever "it" is. What does it mean to be a follower of Christ in winter?

No comments:

Post a Comment