Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Crossing to Safety--a poem

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith from a Place of Winter for the Years of Winter… ©

On Sunday mornings
I pray for preachers
“The goodly fellowship
of the prophets”
In whose ranks
I once stood tall
Now I mumble
My few words of hope
As Solieri
Gave thanks
For his few notes
That Mozart
the enfant terrible
eclipsed with one flourishing
arpeggio
I do not envy
Those who stand now
To preach
But lay my mumbled prayers
Down in the mud
That they might cross
Not even knowing they are there
To safety on the mountains
Where their feet are beautiful


John Robert McFarland

The “place of winter” mentioned in the title line is Iron Mountain, in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, where people are Yoopers [UPers] and life is defined by winter even in the summer!

You don’t have to bookmark or favorite the CIW URL to return here. Just Google Christ In Winter and it will show up at the top of the page.


I tweet, occasionally, as yooper1721.

No comments:

Post a Comment