Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

SINGING VS. AWFULIZING


CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith from a Place of Winter for the Years of Winter… ©

You just can’t sing and be afraid at the same time. That’s why we sing in the dark. It’s very difficult to sing and awfulize at the same time. Awfulizing is the process of imagining all the awful things that might happen to us. We spend more time at it than we realize. The less awfulizing we do, the more likely we are to get well. The immune system doesn’t like awfulizing; it does like singing.

From NOW THAT I HAVE CANCER I AM WHOLE: Reflections on Life and Healing for Cancer Patients and Those Who Love Them, page 16 [2nd edition, AndrewsMcmeel]

John Robert McFarland
johnrobertmcfarland@gmail.com

The “place of winter” mentioned in the title line is Iron Mountain, in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula [The UP], where life is defined by winter even in the summer! [This phrase is explained in the post for March 20, 2014.]

I used to keep a careful index of all the things I told in this blog so that I would not repeat. That has become unwieldy. Now I just trust to… what’s it called… oh, yes, memory. Sorry about repeats.

I have also started an author blog, about writing and reading, in preparation for the publication, by Black Opal Books, of my novel, VETS, about four handicapped and homeless Iraqistan veterans who are accused of murdering a VA doctor, in 2015. http://johnrobertmcfarland-author.blogspot.com/

I tweet as yooper1721.




No comments:

Post a Comment