Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

TRADING SLEEP FOR DREAMS


CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith from a Place of Winter for the Years of Winter… ©

I got up at 4:30 a.m. that’s not unusual for me. I have to be up for four hours to let my surgically altered semi-colon get through its morning routine before I can leave the house. My body is used to getting up early.

It’s also used to getting some sleep in the 7 and ½ hours I am in bed. That did not happen last night. Oh, maybe as many as 4 hours in those 7 and ½ I was asleep, but maybe not even quite that much.

I did not toss and turn. Even though I know I shall drag all day—and it’s a full day, without much possibility of a nap—I did not resent my sleepless hours in bed.

I wanted the sleep. I need the sleep. But I got something better. It was a grand night for dreaming while awake. Friends now gone and children now grown were my constant companions. Ideas for things to write pushed up in the darkness like crocuses under snow. Images of people I might see and distant notes of music I might hear in days to come danced “on gossamer wings” in my eyes and ears.

Sometimes you just have to trade sleep for dreams.

John Robert McFarland
johnrobertmcfarland@gmail.com

And sometimes you are short on time and internet connections, which may be true for me the next four or six days. I try to post here every day, for personal discipline and sanity and enjoyment. Also, I think that if you are kind enough to come by on any day, looking for something new, there should be something new. Feel free to come back by any day; there may be something new, if I have time and internet. If I don’t, I look forward to that time when we can share a few minutes.

The “place of winter” mentioned in the title line is Iron Mountain, in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula [The UP], where life is defined by winter even in the summer! [This phrase is explained in the post for March 20, 2014.]

I used to keep a careful index of all the things I told in this blog so that I would not repeat. That has become unwieldy. Now I just trust to… what’s it called… oh, yes, memory. Sorry about repeats.

I have also started an author blog, about writing and reading, in preparation for the publication, by Black Opal Books, of my novel, VETS, about four handicapped and homeless Iraqistan veterans who are accused of murdering a VA doctor, in 2015. http://johnrobertmcfarland-author.blogspot.com/

I tweet as yooper1721.

No comments:

Post a Comment