Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Saturday, January 23, 2016

SWEET QUOTES

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith for the Years of Winter… ©

Apparently Leonard Sweet quoted me in his book, GIVING BLOOD: A Fresh Paradigm for Preaching. It’s always surprising to find out I have been quoted, but also gratifying. Apparently I said something worthwhile.

It’s in the chapter on Narraphors, a word he coins to combine narrative and metaphor. It certainly sounds like me, a narrative preacher and writer and theologian.

There are only snippits from his book online, but enough for me to know what I said that he quoted: One was, “The illustration is [the point]” and another was, “The Bible is not God’s theology book…it is God’s story book.”

Yep, sounds like me.

I hope he also quoted, “God gave us theology for fun. When we take it seriously is when we get into trouble,” and “The Bible is not only God’s theology book, it’s not God’s science book or God’s how-to-get-rich book or God’s helpful-hints-for-easy living book or God’s bumper slogan book. It is God’s story book.”

Feel free to quote me.

John Robert McFarland
johnrobertmcfarland@gmail.com

I tweet as yooper1721.


No comments:

Post a Comment