Iron Mountain ski jump

Iron Mountain ski jump

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

THE SILENCE UNTIL THE WIND IS READY-a poem

CHRIST IN WINTER: Reflections on Faith for the Years of Winter… ©

I’m not a poet, but most mornings I write a poem-like piece, in ink, in a small notebook, and leave it, no editing, just as it is. This is the birthday of one of my longest-tenured friends, Bob Wilson, who knew me before I was edited, so this is for him…


I like the silence even more
as winter days run slowly
by my window.

Not the silence of the tree
when birds have fled the wind,
but the silence of knowing

they are there, and watching.
in the stillness after storm.
their wings closed down

upon their sides, their feet
relaxed yet ready
to push them up and out

when the wind is ready…


John Robert McFarland
johnrobertmcfarland@gmail.com

I tweet as yooper1721.

No comments:

Post a Comment